header image

HOME

This is the blog of Ian Rosales Casocot. Filipino writer. Sometime academic. Former backpacker. Twink bait. Hamster lover.

Interested in What I Create?



Bibliography

Thursday, July 08, 2004

entry arrow8:52 PM | The Almanac of Last Things

By Linda Pastan



From the almanac of last things

I choose the spider lily

for the grace of its brief

blossom, though I myself

fear brevity,



but I choose The Song of Songs

because the flesh

of those pomegranates

has survived

all the frost of dogma.



I choose January with its chill

lessons of patience and despair--and

August, too sun-struck for lessons.

I choose a thimbleful of red wine

to make my heart race,



then another to help me

sleep. From the almanac

of last things I choose you,

as I have done before.

And I choose evening



because the light clinging

to the window

is at its most reflective

just as it is ready

to go out.



From Carnival Evening


[0] This is Where You Bite the Sandwich





GO TO OLDER POSTS GO TO NEWER POSTS