header image

HOME

This is the blog of Ian Rosales Casocot. Filipino writer. Sometime academic. Former backpacker. Twink bait. Hamster lover.

Interested in What I Create?



Bibliography

Sunday, September 14, 2014

entry arrow12:18 AM | A François Ozon Completist Checklist



The first François Ozon film I saw was A Summer Dress. This was in Tokyo in 1997 when I attended the first gay and lesbian film festival I'd ever been in, and was so overwhelmed by the cinematic choices it felt very much like being a kid in a candy shop. It was an empowering experience to know that most of the patrons who were with me in that Tokyo theatre were exactly like me who were hungry for representations of themselves on the silver screen. I got plenty of that in that festival -- and that experience has since urged me on to a study of queer cinema. But this short film by Ozon was one of those that struck me the most because it seemed so light, so sexy, so subversive, so dangerous ... so French.



Since then I've seen some of his later films -- the mysterious duo of Swimming Pool and Under the Sand, with Charlotte Rampling in two indelible star turns, were an exercise of mood and skilful handling of the thriller genre -- and I've come to know the edgy sexuality Ozon seems to inject his films with. And always with a homoerotic subtext. What's not to like?

I want to see all of his films.

☐ The New Girlfriend (2014)
☐ Young and Beautiful (2013)
☐ In the House (2012)
☐ Potiche (2010)
☐ Hideaway (2009)
☐ Ricky (2009)
☐ Angel (2007)
☐ Time to Leave (2005)
☐ 5x2 (2004)
☑ Swimming Pool (2003)
☑ 8 Women (2002)
☑ Under the Sand (2000)
☐ Water Drops on Burning Rocks (2000)
☑ Criminal Lovers (1999)
☑ Sitcom (1998)
☐ See the Sea (1997)

Labels:


[0] This is Where You Bite the Sandwich





GO TO OLDER POSTS GO TO NEWER POSTS