header image

HOME

This is the blog of Ian Rosales Casocot. Filipino writer. Sometime academic. Former backpacker. Twink bait. Hamster lover.

Interested in What I Create?



Bibliography

Tuesday, July 04, 2023

entry arrow8:00 PM | A 24-Hour Concert



I just watched Rob Esptein and Jeffrey Friedman’s Taylor Mac’s 24-Decade History of Popular Music (2023), their documentary of that groundbreaking, awe-inspiring 24-hour concert marathon that the theatre artist Taylor Mac undertook in 2016, and I’m amazed. [I think I might have to write a longer essay on immersive art soon, just to clarify my thoughts on this and to sort out my feelings.] This documentary makes me wish I could have been there in person, be part of the audience of this powerful, immersive 24-hour performance. It must have been blissfully exhaustive, the way great things should be experienced. But this documentary will have to do, abbreviated though it necessarily must be.

Also: Isn’
t it amazing that Rob Epstein and Jeffrey Friedman have given us some of the best documentaries about queer life and culture in the past few decades? [Consider these: Word Is Out: Stories of Some of Our Lives, The Times of Harvey Milk, Common Threads: Stories from the Quilt, The Celluloid Closet, Paragraph 175, and State of Pride.] Even their fictional forays [Howl and Lovelace] are important, even if unremembered. I’m amazed by this duo.

Also: Fuck Ted Nugent.

Labels: , , ,


[0] This is Where You Bite the Sandwich





GO TO OLDER POSTS GO TO NEWER POSTS