header image

HOME

This is the blog of Ian Rosales Casocot. Filipino writer. Sometime academic. Former backpacker. Twink bait. Hamster lover.

Interested in What I Create?



Bibliography

Tuesday, April 27, 2004

Mark and I just watched American Idol on Star World -- the episode where Camille Velasco gets kicked out. It was heartbreaking, but she did choose a really hard song not totally suited for her. Some people reading this are probably thinking: That episode? I know, I know... we are so far behind here in Asia, but we have to content ourselves with being always at the tail-end. Plus I cannot believe I am actually addicted to this show, which I had managed to avoid in its first two seasons, but now I just find myself tuning in every Tuesday and Thursday like an automaton. It helps, of course, that two Hawaiian Pinays made it to the Final 12. These days, we take even the smallest crumbs just to feel proud about being Pinoys. Most of us are already bracing for an FPJ presidency.



But back to AI. This episode probably ranks as one of the most emotional in the brief history of the show. And Jasmine Trias, I tell you, absolutely rocks! What a huge heart, and what a huge talent! To sing that way even with laryngitis takes real talent! But America, unfortunately, is deaf. Nevertheless, Pinays rock! (Mark wants to add to that list Angela Perez Barraquio -- Miss America 2000! -- and Vanessa Minillo -- Miss Teen USA 1998!)



Getting the latest news about the show from CNN, I'm posting this article...

Theories flew fast and furious Thursday after the "American Idol" viewer vote went against favorite Jennifer Hudson, ranging from racism to fateful weather to teenage puppy love.



Or maybe America just has a tin ear.



While Hudson and two other singers lavishly praised by the show's judges ended up at the bottom of the heap Wednesday night, contestants who gave marginal performances were top vote-getters.



Hudson, Fantasia Barrino and La Toya London -- "The Three Divas," as they've become known -- seemed to have the best shot at taking the Fox TV contest. But they were less popular than their competition, including redheaded crooner John Stevens, a 16-year-old whose highest compliment from the judges was that he was a nice guy.


Read the rest here.



How John Stevens has cruised through this competition astounds me. The guy has the voice and the performance level of a frog. But America -- and Mark! grrrr... -- loves him. I tell you, tin ears.


[0] This is Where You Bite the Sandwich





GO TO OLDER POSTS GO TO NEWER POSTS