header image

HOME

This is the blog of Ian Rosales Casocot. Filipino writer. Sometime academic. Former backpacker. Twink bait. Hamster lover.

Interested in What I Create?



Bibliography

Friday, June 25, 2004

entry arrow6:30 PM | Lucky People 1

What I miss most about Kaide is seeing her nose wrinkle when I call her by her full name: Kaija Sofia Ermelli Korpi. Which she hates with slapdash reasons bordering on cute. I keep telling her there is music to her full name: it sums up her Nordic drive for sun and fun, and yet, when you say it, it trips in one's mouth like a child at play. Ka--eee--ya. So--feee--ya. Er--me--li. The name lolls around the tongue. Kaide, which is the nickname I have given her, is another soul mate I haven't seen for the longest time -- almost eight years now? -- because she lives with her snow and spa in Finland. And newly-married too! But she haunts my thoughts now and then, especially when the sky turns grey, and then I remember those autumns we spent together shopping for crazy knickkancks in Kichijoji. Or when the sky is blue, and I'd remember that day when snow first came to Tokyo in 1997. The morning had begun fair, and the lawns were coated in wintry brown grass, everything the color of muteness. We had just started on our Medieval Arts History class and had pulled the shades down for the teacher's slide show; when we tumbled out of our classroom three hours later, there was a vast carpet of powdery whiteness everywhere. Magic. The sunlight, glinting down onto the snow, bounced to Kaide's blond hair. I told her she had a halo over her head. She laughed. "Hey, Tropics Boy," she told me, "have you ever seen snow before?" When I left for home a few months later, we promised to see each other ten years later, on June 16, on top of the Empire State Building. Just like in the movies.


[0] This is Where You Bite the Sandwich





GO TO OLDER POSTS GO TO NEWER POSTS