header image

HOME

This is the blog of Ian Rosales Casocot. Filipino writer. Sometime academic. Former backpacker. Twink bait. Hamster lover.

Interested in What I Create?



Bibliography

Friday, June 25, 2004

entry arrow6:30 PM | Lucky People 2

Ted Regencia is in Chicago keeping fit, while spending days dreaming ways to burst into mainstream American journalism. The future Pulitzer Prize winner, you could say. As yet, he is still paying his dues, starting out small, slowly inching towards the bigger bang by the skin of patient ambition. "I am both editor, writer, and janitor," he laughs, describing his job working for a Filipino newspaper in Illinois. But he has what it takes: the guts, the patience, the talent that oozes. A Ted Regencia article is a work of utter brilliance, scintillating in its simplicity, powerful in its uncanniness to drive home a point without the common blather. Today, he emails a picture of himself top-naked, and says, not exactly verbatim: "See? I look good." That's because he is intent on running the Chicago Marathon this year. He says: "This early, I'e already started training at the gym, which is just five minutes walk from my apartment, and outside during the weekend. Except for my mugging incident, my hometown (for now) located just a little north of Chicago, is a pretty safe place and it has lots of green spaces so it's nice to run here. For about a month now, I'e been running three to four miles, twice or three times a week. Tough, if you ask an amateur like me. Tougher even because my two legs are uneven..." I love this gentle man who is full of heart. He loves without condition, which sometimes borders on martyrdom -- especially when in the throes of falling for _____. I haven't seen Tedo for about three years now. He is the very manifestation of emotive missing. He proves the paradox of intimacy despite distance, and for that I owe him my deepest gratitude. He is someone one can truly call "friend."


[0] This is Where You Bite the Sandwich





GO TO OLDER POSTS GO TO NEWER POSTS