header image

HOME

This is the blog of Ian Rosales Casocot. Filipino writer. Sometime academic. Former backpacker. Twink bait. Hamster lover.

Interested in What I Create?



Bibliography

Friday, March 10, 2006

entry arrow1:38 PM | Aria

What amazes me about opera is how -- when you first get a taste of it -- it can either make you hate it, or love it with a passion equal to the wakening of true love. I consider myself lucky to belong to the latter. The best arias for me are perfect expressions of unsaid longing and buried sorrows. And there are certainly many moments in our lives when our emotions cannot be encompassed even by the most apt of words. Yet one note of a perfect song is enough to ably contain all the universes embraced by what is made mute by the conflicting strains of what we feel. The past few weeks have been a rollercoaster. I cannot even begin to understand any of it. But as I listen to Marilyn Horne singing "Ombra Mai Fu" from Handel's Xerxes, everything seems to make sense.

Labels:


[0] This is Where You Bite the Sandwich





GO TO OLDER POSTS GO TO NEWER POSTS