header image


This is the blog of Ian Rosales Casocot. Filipino writer. Sometime academic. Former backpacker. Twink bait. Hamster lover.

Interested in What I Create?


Wednesday, August 02, 2006

entry arrow10:01 PM | What a Typical Day for Me is Like

Don't even think about comparing how busy we all are.

My day began today at 4:30 a.m., because it had to. There was so much work ahead of me that to dilly-dally could mean messing up the delicate schedule I had set up for the day. Plus there was an academic schedule to stick to that began at 9 a.m., and ended at 6 p.m. (On Mondays, it becomes even more surreal, because it ends at 9 p.m.) After brewing myself a cup of coffee, I turned on some classical music and proceeded to attack what needed to be accomplished before the first cock crowed out the rising sun. I scanned some photos, and encoded several letters I needed for a report. I did some notes for my five lectures for the day, checked some papers, then I did layout for several cultural programs and lecture-fora I was in charge of. Then I texted my chairperson at 5 a.m., informing her that I needed an invitation letter from her to secure the President's attendance to an activity we are planning for next week. An hour later, she texted back, "You are awake at 5 a.m.?" Of course. After that I compiled some reports for two important meetings I had to attend to this day. That these two were luncheon meetings scheduled at the same time did not faze me one bit. "I don't believe in the impossible," I told myself -- but that did not mean I had the supernatural capability of halving myself and going to two places at the same time. The plan, really, was simple: for the first meeting which I decided I would not attend, I resorted to typing up an extensive report -- filled with everything I was supposed to accomplish for this particular committee by this period -- and made plans to drop by this meeting 10 minutes before schedule, just so I could talk to the chairperson, and hand in my reports. That way, he would not feel bad about my absence, and yet still get the satisfaction that I was able to do the work I was supposed to accomplish. That was the plan. Then, at 9 a.m., I went to school for my first class. Two hours later, I rushed to the nearest Internet cafe (my connection at home is infuriatingly absent, and I just could not wait for the phone company to come in and do the necessary repairs). I downloaded some necessary files and pictures, rushed back home to finish some layout and more reports, went to the first meeting and chatted up with the chairperson as planned, and rushed out again for the other meeting with several campus writers I had tasked to coordinate with me for a publicity campaign that involved writing for several local and national papers. All these within the span of thirty minutes. After that luncheon meeting -- a good one, and best of all because we ate great chicken barbecue -- I rushed to my 1 p.m. class, and later rushed to the Office of the University President to update his secretary about the developments for the Investiture Program of our new head honcho, then rushed to the printing press to get new price quotations over several programs I had ordered, information I needed for a meeting this Friday, then rushed to the Alumni Office to request for new copies of the CVs of the Outstanding Sillimanian Awardees this year which I needed to distribute to my pool of writers by tomorrow, then rushed outside the campus to pay my electric bills, then went back to school for my 3 p.m. class, then rushed to the nearby convenience store to get my fix of Lipovitan, then consulted with my chairperson with regards logistics for the upcoming lecture I was in-charge of, then went back to the office to contact several people to cement their participation in the various programs I will directing in the next few weeks, then went back to my 6 p.m. class, then went home to shower, then went to Lee Super Plaza to buy a gift for someone's birthday party tomorrow (I bought a doll, since she's a four-year old kid), then went to get my laundry at Wishy Washy, then...

That I'm writing all these now with a smile on my face is a surprise, even for me. I'm still here. Don't worry. I'm fine. There's another busy tomorrow to prepare for, and really, it's okay.

So if I don't email you back as much as I wish I can, don't get mad. I'll get back to you very soon.


[0] This is Where You Bite the Sandwich