header image

HOME

This is the blog of Ian Rosales Casocot. Filipino writer. Sometime academic. Former backpacker. Twink bait. Hamster lover.

Interested in What I Create?



Bibliography

Saturday, January 13, 2007

entry arrow2:01 PM | LitCritters Dumaguete No. 3

Today, I am in awe of my former students because, barely two sessions into LitCritters, they have somehow become virtual masters of stripping the stories we have been taking up into their barest essentials, and managing to distill what they believe is the theme of each story. They are so passionate in their arguments, too -- all I could do this morning in Chantilly was to stand back, prod them on, and watch them go at it, as they relentlessly bemoaned the subtle tragedy of Irwin Shaw's "The Girls in Their Summer Dresses," went deep under the powerful, dreadful climax in Shirley Jackson's "The Lottery," and told me that despite my misgivings over its cruelty, there is something thematically worthwhile in Irene Sarmiento's "The Manananggal." I really cannot wait for our next session, when I introduce them to the children's story.

This week:

How Rosang Taba Won a Race by Dean Francis Alfar
Xilef by Augie Rivera
Menggay's Magical Chicken by Nikki Go-Alfar
Am I Blue? by Bruce Coville
The Dancers of Malumbay by Raissa Claire Rivera
The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein

Last week:

The Girls in Their Summer Dresses by Irwin Shaw
The Secret Life of Walter Mitty by James Thurber
The Lottery by Shirley Jackson
Manananggal by Irene Sarmiento

Last last week:

A Rose for Emily by William Faulkner
The Book of Sand by Jorge Luis Borges
We Won't Cry Over This by Socorro Villanueva

Labels: ,


[0] This is Where You Bite the Sandwich





GO TO OLDER POSTS GO TO NEWER POSTS