header image

HOME

This is the blog of Ian Rosales Casocot. Filipino writer. Sometime academic. Former backpacker. Twink bait. Hamster lover.

Interested in What I Create?



Bibliography

Friday, December 14, 2007

entry arrow1:21 AM | That Voice

The first two instances that I knew of John Barrowman, first it was with a grudging awe for his masterful rendition of Andrew Lloyd Webber's "Love Changes Everything," a song which we used to belt out when I was in college and we were doing West Side Story. That was the Broadway phase of my life, when I did that musical, then Godspell and The Sound of Music -- and nurtured a dream of becoming a stage actor. (Alas, that was not to be. My life has turned out to be something else, and in fact some people get surprised when I tell them I used to sing and act on stage.) Later, when John Barrowman sang Cole Porter's "Night and Day" in the movie DeLovely with Kevin Kline, I knew, in some part of subconsciousness, that he was it. The quintessential voice. But it took Gibbs Cadiz's embedding of John Barrowman's take on "Maria" for me to really plunge into the guy's genius.



It was about time. And suddenly, here I am, downloading many of his songs, and being rendered speechless by the way he goes from Broadway to pop without batting an eyelash. His take on Carly Simon's "You're So Vain" is wicked and sweet at the same time, and his version of Bryan Adams' "Heaven" is bittersweet and nostalgic, which of course gets the mushy guy inside of me.

Labels: ,


[0] This is Where You Bite the Sandwich





GO TO OLDER POSTS GO TO NEWER POSTS