header image

HOME

This is the blog of Ian Rosales Casocot. Filipino writer. Sometime academic. Former backpacker. Twink bait. Hamster lover.

Interested in What I Create?



Bibliography

Friday, January 21, 2011

entry arrow12:15 AM | Art and the Taming of Pain

We wring our best work, sometimes, from the brinks of pain. Long ago, I did not believe in the myth of the tortured artist—surely, I said, one can create art and beauty from a state of bliss. But I was young, I was foolish. I know now that what makes art is province only to those who are most discerning of little horrors and small upheavals, and to those who understand this: something is art because someone has wrenched something sublime from plainness, from the dullness of the ordinary, from the stifling regularity of the everyday, and with words, motion, sound, texture, or color, they are elevated to something else that limns human truths. Writers call it difference. I call it the taming of pain.

Labels: , , ,


[2] This is Where You Bite the Sandwich





GO TO OLDER POSTS GO TO NEWER POSTS