header image

HOME

This is the blog of Ian Rosales Casocot. Filipino writer. Sometime academic. Former backpacker. Twink bait. Hamster lover.

Interested in What I Create?



Bibliography

Monday, April 18, 2016

entry arrow1:32 PM | "They don't want to hear it, they don't care."



I've heard variations of this phrase twice in mere days, in very powerful illustrations of heartbreaking epiphanies. The first is in Episode 7 of Netflix's Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, where Jane Krakowski's Jacqueline White tries to throw a fundraiser for Native Americans among a cluster of rich, white men -- and their indifference to the issue floored her. In their midst, she gets this frightful insight: "My God, you don't care at all... Why didn't I see it? That has always been the problem, you just don't care..." The second is in the last few scenes of Rick Famuyiwa's Confirmation, HBO's film version of Clarence Thomas' controversial 1991 Senate confirmation hearings as Supreme Court justice, which unexpectedly entered a dark chapter when law professor Anita Hall testified that Thomas sexual harassed her under his employ. But Washington, D.C. politics ultimately derailed the hearings, and in the end Kerry Washington's Prof. Hill finally realises: "This was a mistake. This is why I never came forward before. What good have we done? My friends' jobs are being threatened? My reputation has been ruined? For what? I have said everything that I came here to say -- BUT they don't want to hear it. They don't care. They only want to win." They're both very right. Nobody. Cares.

Labels: , , , ,


[0] This is Where You Bite the Sandwich





GO TO OLDER POSTS GO TO NEWER POSTS