header image

HOME

This is the blog of Ian Rosales Casocot. Filipino writer. Sometime academic. Former backpacker. Twink bait. Hamster lover.

Interested in What I Create?



Bibliography

Wednesday, June 22, 2016

entry arrow11:15 PM | Pink Spandex! Or: Enjoying Gay Comics

Exactly last year, Comic Book Resources celebrated Pride Month by coming up with a list of 63 LGBT characters in the DC and Marvel Universes -- which is well and good, but the topic has never really interested me. My geekiness swings to a totally different beat, and although I enjoy my cinematic incarnations of these worlds, I am not invested as into the minutiae of DC and Marvel as some of my friends are. Is Spider-Man gay? Eh, I don't care. (He's not, right?)

But I like comics. And there are some gay-themed comics I've found myself really loving, first for the magnificence of the art, and second for the way they become a kind of mirror (often funny and surreal) to my gay self in the way only comics could be.

The Boy in Pink Earmuffs has a list of these LGBT-themed comics, most of them exclusively for the web, but my favourites [most of them first recommended to me by my boyfriend who's a big comics fan] are...

  

  

Alex Woolfson and Winona Nelson's Artifice is a surprise and a delight: a delicious science fiction piece about an android sent by corporate masters to eliminate a team of scientists who know a little too much about a certain project, the surprise is that he fails spectacularly from completing the mission when he meets one of his targets, and... Love happens. (Read the comics here.) Meanwhile, EK Weaver's The Less Than Epic Adventures of TJ and Amal is the story of two lost young men who find themselves unexpectedly sharing a road trip adventure into self-discovery. And love. (Read the comics here.) Then there is Alex Woolfson, Adam DeKraker, and Veronica Gandini's The Young Protectors which gives us the definite "gay" in the superhero genre by making us follow the life of one young super whose very dilemma is that the man he loves ... is the super villain he must fight. Love conquers all. (Read the comics here.) And finally, Gisele Lagace and Dave Lumsdon's Ménage à 3 is just a zany comic strip following a whole cast of characters -- all young, all beautiful, with all manner of gender identity -- as they stumble in and out of each other's beds, defining once and for all the glory of sexual fluidity. Love transcends! (Read the comics here.)

Go and read! In the meantime I'm trying to read this Japanese bara manga one-shot, Mentaiko/ Itto's The Holy Night [totally NSFW]...




#PrideMonth2016

Labels: , , ,


[0] This is Where You Bite the Sandwich





GO TO OLDER POSTS GO TO NEWER POSTS