header image

HOME

This is the blog of Ian Rosales Casocot. Filipino writer. Sometime academic. Former backpacker. Twink bait. Hamster lover.

Interested in What I Create?



Bibliography

Wednesday, November 08, 2017

entry arrow4:22 PM | Betty Helps

When I was a teenager [I remember high school*], I stammered a lot -- but only when I read in public. I couldn’t make out the words properly for some reason, and public reading became torture for me. It took some effort overcoming it: when I was alone, Id read aloud and Id be fine, and I kept at it, until the problem went away for the most part. (I still stammer when I am unprepared.) Today, every time Im asked to speak in public, I do a ritual which Ive carried over from my stammering years: I go to a private place -- a CR, for example -- and Id repeat five times this tongue twister: “Betty bought a bit of butter, but Betty said, This butter is bitter. So Betty bought a bit of better butter to make her bitter butter better.” 

It works.


*A grade school classmate just informed me I also stammered way before that

Labels: ,


[0] This is Where You Bite the Sandwich





GO TO OLDER POSTS GO TO NEWER POSTS