header image

HOME

This is the blog of Ian Rosales Casocot. Filipino writer. Sometime academic. Former backpacker. Twink bait. Hamster lover.

Interested in What I Create?



Bibliography

Wednesday, June 03, 2020

entry arrow11:24 PM | Christo, 1935-2020



I'm late to the news and I am shocked that one of my favorite artists has passed away, and I didn't even know. Christo [1935-2020] completely redefined sculptural art for me, and I guess for most people as well. In giving skirts to islands, in draping whole buildings and bridges, in dotting parks with safron arches, he employed the out-of-the-box and the epic, creating both spectacle and art that was notorious, because no one else was doing what he was doing. I thought that was brave. I became an instant fan. The artist Saul Steinberg said of Christo: “He not only invented himself, he invented his art and, even more amazing, he invented his public.” For sure.

Read The New York Times obituary here.

[0] This is Where You Bite the Sandwich





GO TO OLDER POSTS GO TO NEWER POSTS