header image

HOME

This is the blog of Ian Rosales Casocot. Filipino writer. Sometime academic. Former backpacker. Twink bait. Hamster lover.

Interested in What I Create?



Bibliography

Thursday, March 04, 2021

entry arrow12:07 AM | Someday, Somewhere

I decided to watch West Side Story again -- and boy, the eighth time was the one that did it, because unexpected waterworks! This has never happened to me before, WSS-wise. I've watched this film so many times but always thought it a dated work of geniuses [Wise, Robbins, Bernstein, Sondheim, Laurents, Shakespeare]. But I've been in a production of the musical before [I played Diesel, one of the Jets, once] and I know all the songs by heart, but have never really been touched by the story's central tragedy. So why now? Is it because I'm older? Is it because it is to be lamented that the problems of that 1961 world largely remain the same today? Is it because of the heightened emotionality of lockdown? Who knows.


Labels: , ,


[0] This is Where You Bite the Sandwich





GO TO OLDER POSTS GO TO NEWER POSTS