header image

HOME

This is the blog of Ian Rosales Casocot. Filipino writer. Sometime academic. Former backpacker. Twink bait. Hamster lover.

Interested in What I Create?



Bibliography

Wednesday, June 22, 2022

entry arrow2:06 PM | Insidious

I lost access to my Facebook account [and its accompanying Messenger app] for several days because I lost my phone more than a month ago, and when I got locked out of Facebook because of a browser glitch, I could not retrieve the 2-step verification code it sent to that phone. I had to request Facebook to let me access my account again [using a valid national ID it captured via an in-app camera], and it took many days of waiting for me to get their response.

Today, I got it.

[Sigh.] One has no idea how insidious Facebook's hold is on our work and lives — until one gets locked out of it. I wish this weren't true, but it is. Even when I left FB for a mental health break for more than six months starting around September last year, I still accessed the Pages I needed to do work in.

The past few days, I was on the verge of buying a new phone just so I can retrieve my old number, just so I can access Facebook again, because the things I'm doing right now apparently needs Facebook to properly manage. It felt crazy, that need. [I still might have to buy that phone though.]


Labels: ,


[0] This is Where You Bite the Sandwich





GO TO OLDER POSTS GO TO NEWER POSTS