header image

HOME

This is the blog of Ian Rosales Casocot. Filipino writer. Sometime academic. Former backpacker. Twink bait. Hamster lover.

Interested in What I Create?



Bibliography

Friday, April 09, 2004

The Fourth Day



And yet, it is indeed now a Good Friday. I feel relaxed, and at peace. I am channeling Oprah. The Little Prince. The morning air. It is 6 o'clock in the morning, and it smells like the beginning. And yet I have not had any sleep the whole night. I was busy cleaning the apartment, see -- spring cleaning if you will, although it is practically summer. I don't know what it is about me, but I prefer cleaning my pad at night, when everybody else is asleep. I like the pervasive quiet, the total immersion the night brings to the task. Then again, I've always considered cleaning house a kind of meditation. So I take my time, starting midnight, and ending usually just before the sun breaks through the darkness. I take my time. Dismantling the place, to clear space. Wiping the street dust off the glass jalousies. Sweeping the floor, then mopping it. Turning everything -- books, figurines, vases, tables, chairs -- upside down, trying to wipe through the slightest hint of grime. Scrubbing Lysol on the bathroom tiles. Airing the closet. Changing bed linens. Washing the dishes. Making last minute arrangements, and seeing to it that everything is in its place. Then brewing coffee. Then sitting down just as the city begins to awaken, and breathing in the freshness of my space. It is perfectly transcendental. And I am happy again.


[0] This is Where You Bite the Sandwich





GO TO OLDER POSTS GO TO NEWER POSTS