header image

HOME

This is the blog of Ian Rosales Casocot. Filipino writer. Sometime academic. Former backpacker. Twink bait. Hamster lover.

Interested in What I Create?



Bibliography

Thursday, June 03, 2004

entry arrow9:01 PM | Signs of the Times

Wanggo posted this message in his Friendster bulletin board today:



this coming saturday, i'll be deleting this account... i'm kind of sure of it. i may be back if i hear friendster is working without glitches... but right now, the system is so screwed up! i am logging in in my old password... not the new one that i set up. how screwed up is that?


And I agree with him. Friendster is getting weirder these days, which is why I barely check my account -- that is, if I am able to log in, of course. Sometimes, I am refused entry due to some "temporary" bugging errors, but often it is because of some "scheduled systems maintenance," which is not improving the system at all. There's also the fact that the 278 Friendsters I have are now down to 273. The question foremost in my mind was: Am I getting unpopular? But, taking Wanggo's tact, I understand a bit better. There's also the fact that I've been getting old messages back, most of which I've already deleted months before. Or the fact that I'm getting Friendster requests from friends who already in my list. And the disappearing friends! And the disappearing pictures! And the fact that it takes just about forever to approve a testimonial! The whole thing's becoming less fun now, and more a compendium of exasperation.



(a) Do I stay?

(b) Do I leave?

(c) Do I just ignore the whole thing and get on with my life?



Frankly, I don't really care. And don't even think of inviting me to My Place, or Pinoyster, or Vibester, or... They're just added headaches. Friendster was a singular experience, and I don't intend to do the same thing over and over again.



But it's not just Friendster that's fucked up. Internet connection everywhere has been excruciatingly slow, too, even on reputedly fast servers. What gives? Also: Computers inexplicably freeze up when I go to some websites; the New York Times, for example. And I'm tired of fighting the Netsky virus, really. And other variations that're popping up every single day. And the last time I heard, more than ten friends reported their hard drives crashing.



What's with the world ba?



Grrr.



On a pleasant note, I just had a lovely dinner of scrumptious grilled squid in Mamia, with teacher-friends. We made libak all our bad students, and updated ourselves with how we are all coming along with individual counter-offensive plans for the coming schoolyear (which officially begins Monday). This includes no longer giving out Incompletes.



I feel full. And I am beaming with such enthusiasm, too. Which is good, isn't it?


[0] This is Where You Bite the Sandwich





GO TO OLDER POSTS GO TO NEWER POSTS