HOME
This is the blog of Ian Rosales Casocot. Filipino writer. Sometime academic. Former backpacker. Twink bait. Hamster lover.
Email: icasocot(at)gmail.com
Interested in What I Create?
Bibliography

The Last Days of Magic: Stories
Anvil Publishing, 2026

The Great Little Hunter
Pinspired Philippines, 2022

The Boy The Girl
The Rat The Rabbit
and the Last Magic Days
Chapbook, 2018

Republic of Carnage:
Three Horror Stories
For the Way We Live Now
Chapbook, 2018

Bamboo Girls:
Stories and Poems
From a Forgotten Life
Ateneo de Naga University Press, 2018

Don't Tell Anyone:
Literary Smut
With Shakira Andrea Sison
Pride Press / Anvil Publishing, 2017

Cupful of Anger,
Bottle Full of Smoke:
The Stories of
Jose V. Montebon Jr.
Silliman Writers Series, 2017

First Sight of Snow
and Other Stories
Encounters Chapbook Series
Et Al Books, 2014

Celebration: An Anthology to Commemorate the 50th Anniversary of the Silliman University National Writers Workshop
Sands and Coral, 2011-2013
Silliman University, 2013

Handulantaw: Celebrating 50 Years of Culture and the Arts in Silliman
Tao Foundation and Silliman University Cultural Affairs Committee, 2013

Inday Goes About Her Day
Locsin Books, 2012

Beautiful Accidents: Stories
University of the Philippines Press, 2011

Heartbreak & Magic: Stories of Fantasy and Horror
Anvil, 2011

Old Movies and Other Stories
National Commission for Culture
and the Arts, 2006

FutureShock Prose: An Anthology of Young Writers and New Literatures
Sands and Coral, 2003
Nominated for Best Anthology
2004 National Book Awards
Follow the Spy
Recent Crumbs
Blogs I Read
© 2002-2021
IAN ROSALES CASOCOT
Friday, September 10, 2004
8:32 PM |
Another National Book Award Controversy

This is another National Book Award-related "question mark," something I broached to my Philippine literature class the other day when we were discussing Philippine graphic literature. The class was giving comments about Gerry Alanguilan's
Wasted, when I told them that the
Darna comics I had shown them earlier (and which I had proclaimed as something
ho-hum) had just won the National Book Award, tying with the Vic Simbulan and Dean Alfar-edited graphic anthology
Siglo: Freedom.
Luis Joaquin Katigbak says, "This seems to be the year for questioning the Manila Critics Circle's relevance and decision-making process, as the questionable verdicts aren't limited to the Young Adult category. I for one was aghast that they would award anything to Mango Comics'
Darna, which was mediocre at best. That it should tie with Siglo just makes my brain want to commit hara-kiri, because
what standards are they using?"
Later, he says: "Of course, one can argue that
Siglo has its own flaws, but its ambition, its scope, its willingness to reach for and achieve more than your run-of-the-mill slab of sequential lit -- these are undeniable. Meanwhile,
Darna offers stilted writing, hackneyed superheroics, and gratuitous T&A, which can hardly be deemed an accomplishment, much less award-worthy. Amidst the flurry of congratulations from the local comics mailing lists and weblogs, very few people have chosen to express concern -- at least in writing -- about the discrepancy in quality between the two supposed winners. Hey, we're Pinoys. We're like that. But if word of mouth is anything to go by, I'm far from the only person disturbed by this decision. I'm not looking to diss Mango Comics as a company -- I am very much looking forward to future releases from them, from talents such as Gerry Alanguilan and Arnold Arre (and besides, it seems that so many of my friends work for Mango these days) -- but hey, bad comics are bad comics. To pretend otherwise is to be stupid."
My friend Shirley nods, and says, "And hey, with those boobs, how can this Darna fly?"
"Yeah," Luis adds, "I don't think breasts the size of one's head help make one aerodynamic. ;p Adam's theory is that the prize is really for Mars Ravelo, the original creator. If that's the case, they might as well just award some lifetime achievement type thing, and not honor the substandard 'update'."
Right.Meanwhile, Angas ng Kurimaw
rants about Krip Yuson ...
[0] This is Where You Bite the Sandwich
GO TO OLDER POSTS
GO TO NEWER POSTS