header image

HOME

This is the blog of Ian Rosales Casocot. Filipino writer. Sometime academic. Former backpacker. Twink bait. Hamster lover.

Interested in What I Create?



Bibliography

Friday, June 30, 2006

entry arrow12:01 AM | Top Stories by Pinoy Writers

I was browsing around Thing None Yo! and chanced upon Secondcup's musings about her top ten favorite short stories in English by Filipino writers. That got me to do my own thinking, and ranking. What exactly are my top ten favorite short stories? I thought about it hard, and could not readily settle for ten -- I had to increase the number to twenty, to be safe, to consider with all sincerity all the memorable stories that hit me between the eyes the first time I read them, that proved eventually influential, and that had me salivating in sheer envy. These are the stories that I revisit from time to time to restore my sometimes flagging faith in literature and in my own writing. They never cease to amaze me, even after countless rereadings, and for that, they are my favorites.

Midsummer by Manuel Arguilla
The Summer Solstice by Nick Joaquin
The Death of Fray Salvador Montano, Conquistador of Negros by Rosario Cruz Lucero
L'Aquilone du Estrellas by Dean Francis Alfar
Faith, Love, Time, and Dr. Lazaro by Gregorio Brillantes
The Axolotl Colony by Jaime An Lim
Good Intentions 101: SY '71-'72 by Menchu Aquino Sarmiento
The Assassin's Tale by Timothy Montes
Stories by Cesar Ruiz Aquino
Dance by Isolde Amante
We Will Not Cry About This by Socorro Villanueva
Boys Who Like Boys by Vicente Groyon III
The Injury Zone by Lakambini Sitoy
The Execution by Charlson Ong
In the Garden by Jose Dalisay Jr.
The Black Monkey by Edith Tiempo
Equivalents by Noelle Quintos de Jesus
Homecoming by Paulino Lim Jr.
My Brother's Peculiar Chicken by Alejandro Roces
Undercurrents by Janet Villa

That this list can still change is of course without question. What are your favorite Pinoy stories? [Hey, let's make this a meme! I'm tagging Dean Alfar, Nikki Alfar, Vin Simbulan, Zarah Gagatiga, Ginny Mata, John Bengan, James Neish, Ned Parfan, Paolo Manalo, Janet Villa, Kit Kwe, Wendell Capili, Dominique Cimafranca, Gelo Suarez, Naya Valdellon, Patricia Evangelista, Ino Habana, Larry Ypil, Resty Odon, Manuel L. Quezon III, Wanggo Gallaga, and Willi Pascual. That's a lot of tagging, but I don't care, hehehe.]

Labels:


[0] This is Where You Bite the Sandwich





GO TO OLDER POSTS GO TO NEWER POSTS