header image

HOME

This is the blog of Ian Rosales Casocot. Filipino writer. Sometime academic. Former backpacker. Twink bait. Hamster lover.

Interested in What I Create?



Bibliography

Tuesday, April 17, 2007

entry arrow10:42 AM | Your Country is Weird

It's just coming to me now, how I should have been outraged by a small incident when I was in Siquijor. Sometimes though, I'm just a little too nice -- which means it takes me a long time to get the idea that I should get mad over something. So what happened? There was this German girl with us who was doing a study on the mananambals. She was getting frustrated by the idea that there were some books in the Silliman University Library which she needed but which she couldn't take out because they are part of the "restricted collection" -- which basically consists of rare books the Library can't afford to trust anybody with, or else they'll be lost forever. Anyway, I was trying to explain to her all these things when she said something like:

"Your country is weird."

I knew I should have been aghast by that flippant comment, but I just shrugged off the discomfort I suddenly felt, and went on with my day. But that line has been nagging me forever, even until now. And now, I'm angry.

"Your country is weird."

And this coming from a person whose country made the Holocaust the frighteningly effective murderous machine it was. Grrr.

That said, I'm going back to work...

Labels: ,


[0] This is Where You Bite the Sandwich





GO TO OLDER POSTS GO TO NEWER POSTS