header image

HOME

This is the blog of Ian Rosales Casocot. Filipino writer. Sometime academic. Former backpacker. Twink bait. Hamster lover.

Interested in What I Create?



Bibliography

Saturday, November 01, 2008

entry arrow11:39 PM | We'll All Have What She's Having

I don't think it was cosmic coincidence. But last night, I felt the need to watch one of my favorite movies again, Rob Reiner's When Harry Met Sally..., which I first saw as a high school freshman at the height of Dumaguete's last big typhoon. I remember venturing out downtown when the winds were in full force, just to while away my boredom while the storm was blowing away trees and galvanized iron roofs. The movie was showing in Ever Theater, and I had no idea what it was all about, but I got in and fell in love.

It's still the one movie I turn to when I want to be romantic and wise all at the same time. And of course, Meg Ryan's fake orgasm scene in the deli still ranks as one of the best in contemporary cinema, punctuated of course by Estelle Reiner's famous line: "I'll have what she's having."



Estelle was director Rob Reiner's mom, and her one line in the movie has become as immortal as "Nobody's perfect" at the end of Some Like It Hot.

I just learned she died today at the age of 94. She will remain remembered as long as there is cinema.

Labels: , ,


[0] This is Where You Bite the Sandwich





GO TO OLDER POSTS GO TO NEWER POSTS