header image

HOME

This is the blog of Ian Rosales Casocot. Filipino writer. Sometime academic. Former backpacker. Twink bait. Hamster lover.

Interested in What I Create?



Bibliography

Wednesday, September 12, 2012

entry arrow10:30 AM | Before and After



When I was in college -- coming off the angst-ridden books by Alex Garland, Brett Easton Ellis, Douglas Coupland, and Jay McInerney -- I thought the movie that best described my generation was Ben Stiller's Reality Bites [1994]. But it turned out to be Richard Linklater's series of conversation movies with Ethan Hawke and Julien Delpy. I saw Before Sunrise [1995] and Before Sunset [2004] again recently, and I'm both amused (and reflective) at how arrogant about our youth and what we "know" about the world we were in the first film (and in our late teens and early twenties); then how resigned yet still hopeful we were in the second film (and in our late twenties and early thirties). I wonder where Before Midnight [2013] will take us. I wonder what kind of mirror that will be.

Labels: , ,


[2] This is Where You Bite the Sandwich





GO TO OLDER POSTS GO TO NEWER POSTS