header image

HOME

This is the blog of Ian Rosales Casocot. Filipino writer. Sometime academic. Former backpacker. Twink bait. Hamster lover.

Interested in What I Create?



Bibliography

Monday, September 07, 2015

entry arrow7:16 PM | "Don't Break the Illusion"

In Edna Zapanta-Manlapaz and Marjorie Evasco's interview with Edith Lopez Tiempo ["Poetry as the Rhythm of Violets" in The Edith Tiempo Reader], they asked whether there was some writerly competition between her and husband Edilberto K. Tiempo. Mom Edith replied:

Luckily for us, we resolved that problem early on. Years ago, when the two of us hadn’t yet knocked our hard corners together, we were optimistic enough to think we could write together. So we collaborated on a story. He wrote part of it, I wrote part of it. When it was finished, we looked at it. I started to say things, you know, and he started to say things too. I said, okay, I’ll change whatever it was, But he would not change his. So finally I said, well then, I would keep mine. He crumpled the paper and threw it in the wastebasket. Then he said, "This is the last time I’ll collaborate with an unreasonable woman." And true enough, we later collaborated on textbooks, but never again on a creative work. He did his and I did mine. But since we needed a pair of eyes other than our own, we made an agreement. We would each say our piece about each other’s work but we would reserve the right to refuse the advice.

I think this is that collaborative story, "Don't Break the Illusion," published in 1947 in The Sunday Times.

Labels: , , , , , ,


[0] This is Where You Bite the Sandwich





GO TO OLDER POSTS GO TO NEWER POSTS