header image

HOME

This is the blog of Ian Rosales Casocot. Filipino writer. Sometime academic. Former backpacker. Twink bait. Hamster lover.

Interested in What I Create?



Bibliography

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

entry arrow11:26 AM | Harsh Milkshake



I don't know why it took me so long to watch Paul Thomas Anderson's There Will Be Blood [2007], but here it was -- something that I felt I had to watch very early this morning -- and it was terrifying and epic and inexplicably draws you in with so much power and malevolence, you had to wonder why. Is it the sweeping sureness of Anderson's direction, and Robert Elswit's cinematography? Or the no-holds-barred acting of both Daniel Day-Lewis and Paul Dano as antagonists in this story of oil, the Wild West, greed and speculation, the darkness of human nature, and the vapid venom of organized religion? Or the unsettling musical score by Jonny Greenwood? Maybe the exact reason why it took me long to watch it is because I am sometimes made timid by the prospect of beholding something Important and Powerful, the way the raves went in 2007 and 2008, in time for the film to become a serious Oscar contender. But I'm glad I got over that timidity -- and even if I am still shaken by the wrath of Day-Lewis' Daniel Plainview ("I drink your milkshake!"), it was worth the nerves.

Labels: ,


[0] This is Where You Bite the Sandwich





GO TO OLDER POSTS GO TO NEWER POSTS