header image

HOME

This is the blog of Ian Rosales Casocot. Filipino writer. Sometime academic. Former backpacker. Twink bait. Hamster lover.

Interested in What I Create?



Bibliography

Friday, February 04, 2011

entry arrow12:30 AM | A Colombian Love Potion



A few weeks ago, I broke another coffee pot. It slipped from my hands, and shattered on the floor. This is catastrophe for a coffee addict like me. I resorted to Nescafe instant coffee for a few weeks while I made some effort in having the glass pot replaced with a new one by the brand distributor. (I was all about diminishing my carbon footprint...) But finally, I got too tired from [1] waiting for those lazy asses at the distributor's to finally make an order for a new pot for me, and from [2] drinking daily the unimaginative slush of instant coffee -- a side of hell I can't begin to describe. And so I bought a new Dowell coffee maker -- a stainless steel one this time around -- and a new Krups coffee bean grinder.

Which leads me to this moment: a freshly brewed pot of Colombia Finca Buena Vista coffee, courtesy of a friend. It's a great gift because this coffee is quite rarely stocked. It sells out too often everywhere in the world.

From the label, it says [with a little editing]: "This coffee came from the lot of Carlos Imbachi, [which] won First Place at the SCAA Coffee of the Year at the 2009 Conference... The very pricey and famous Panama Esmeralda Especial Gesha coffeee came only second to this 290 lb. Carlos Imbachi lot. The farm is located in Colombia's San Agustin area of Huila at 1,753 meters altitude. The dry fragrance of this coffee is cake-like, with a ready sweetness, with honey, plum, tropical fruits, raisin, and floral notes. The light roast fragrance is intoxicatingly sweet. Add hot water, and there is guayaba tropical fruit essences and a cane sugar note. In the cup, it is juicy and bright, the lighter roasts having a slight hazelnut roast tone; it is also sweet, so well-graced with clean fruit flavors and floral suggestions. For darker roasts, expect a chocolate-covered raisin character -- but not too exotic as the light roast flavor profile. Yet as the dark roast cools, the coffee distinguishes itself from the ordinary, with rose floral notes and plum peaking out from behind the bittersweet chocolate."

All I can say is: this is heaven in a cup.

[photo from the estrategia negocios website]

Labels: , ,


[0] This is Where You Bite the Sandwich





GO TO OLDER POSTS GO TO NEWER POSTS