header image

HOME

This is the blog of Ian Rosales Casocot. Filipino writer. Sometime academic. Former backpacker. Twink bait. Hamster lover.

Interested in What I Create?



Bibliography

Tuesday, January 26, 2016

entry arrow11:25 AM | Food Roundup Dumaguete 2016: Fogo de Chon

I am an accidental foodie: I used to write a food column for a local paper and have written extensively about the Dumaguete food scene for national magazines and newspapers -- until I decided to discontinue the enterprise about four years ago. Still, people I know who visit Dumaguete keep asking me about the best places to go to eat, and I've found I no longer quite know the scene. A lot can change in half a decade. So I've decided to try a new approach this year and go about sampling the local food culture once more and document everything online in the course of twelve months. The city has grown and expanded enough in the years since 2011, and a significant part of what's happening food-wise has become unfamiliar to me. Consider this a personal adventure.



And speaking of lechon, everyone's favorite photographer -- Urich Calumpang -- has decided to try his hand on the food business, this time catering to our instant lechon fix with the quaintly named Fogo de Chon -- a qiosk at the western exit off Robinson's Place, right at the very apex of the beautifully designed wedge called Manhattan Suites Building. They have your usual lechon from P450 per kilo to P112 a quarter of that, plus an assortment of the usual pork favorites, from paksiw (P30), dinuguan (P20), and sisig (P60). I've tried the regular lechon, and it has an aromatic tenderness to it that I liked -- although I'm quite aware lechon quality everywhere always varies and is never quite consistent. But there is an earnestness to the service Fogo de Chon offers that is largely absent from many other lechon counters currently dotting the city. Best of luck with your venture, Poc!

#FoodRoundupDumaguete2016

Labels: , ,


[0] This is Where You Bite the Sandwich





GO TO OLDER POSTS GO TO NEWER POSTS