header image

HOME

This is the blog of Ian Rosales Casocot. Filipino writer. Sometime academic. Former backpacker. Twink bait. Hamster lover.

Interested in What I Create?



Bibliography

Friday, April 22, 2016

entry arrow6:42 PM | Bonsai Birthday



Today, for my summer Philippine literature classes that last for one hour and thirty minutes each, all I did was talk about Edith Tiempo's "Bonsai." Which was a beautiful coincidence, since today is Mom Edith's birthday. I thought I'd be able to talk about other poems as well (there's two by Myrna Peña-Reyes and Ricardo de Ungria that I love very much) -- but there's just so much to unpack in "Bonsai," one and a half hours is not enough. Sometimes I talk about "Lament for the Littlest Fellow" as an alternative -- which actually gives me more ground in terms of discussing metaphor and insight -- but I like the paradox that is at the heart of "Bonsai." So, Mom, here's to you. You're missed immensely by all of us.

Labels: , , , , , , ,


[0] This is Where You Bite the Sandwich





GO TO OLDER POSTS GO TO NEWER POSTS