header image

HOME

This is the blog of Ian Rosales Casocot. Filipino writer. Sometime academic. Former backpacker. Twink bait. Hamster lover.

Interested in What I Create?



Bibliography

Sunday, May 14, 2017

entry arrow8:59 PM | Some People Are Keepers

We opted for a simple anniversary dinner, the boyfriend and I. I told him I was feeling overwhelmed by life of late, and I just needed three things to calm my spirit: Samuel Barbers' Adagio for Strings Op. 11, a hideaway of a restaurant where no one could possibly know me, and him by my side being a calming presence. Without hesitation, he said yes, took me to a place where I could be anonymous, ordered a simple meal of bangus, eggplant, and ampalaya, and instead of Barbers piping into my ears, we talked and talked. We talked about the nature of man and the nature of God, of good and evil, of entropy, of why we fight for the causes we believe in, of the divinity of labels, of how we are all capable of contradictions, of him enjoying RuPaul's Drag Race and me enjoying Dear White People. And while he talked, seeing him think deep to say the words that must be properly articulated, I thought: how lucky I am to be with someone intelligent, someone emphatic, someone with a cause and a dream, someone who can easily forego -- because I asked -- a fancy anniversary dinner at some swanky restaurant for good stimulating talk over an ordinary meal of milk fish in a place nobody knows me.

Labels: ,


[0] This is Where You Bite the Sandwich





GO TO OLDER POSTS GO TO NEWER POSTS