header image

HOME

This is the blog of Ian Rosales Casocot. Filipino writer. Sometime academic. Former backpacker. Twink bait. Hamster lover.

Interested in What I Create?



Bibliography

Wednesday, January 01, 2020

entry arrow9:37 PM | Rediscovering 'Girl, Interrupted'

It occurred to me that it has been twenty years years since James Mangold's Girl, Interrupted (1999) was released. I was ambivalent about the film that year. ["Ambivalent" is an important word in the movie.] Screening it today, everything is different about it. I get it now. I feel its power, its intentions. And while Angelina Jolie -- who won an Oscar for the film -- has the showier performance, Winona Ryder's has subterfuges that spoke volumes. What is it about me now that made the film change for me? Perhaps I'm older. Perhaps I understand now the subdued pain of mental health disease more, having gone through anxiety and depression myself. And it occurs to me that the best art is like this: it is rediscovered to be embraced by a more understanding time.

Labels: ,


[0] This is Where You Bite the Sandwich





GO TO OLDER POSTS GO TO NEWER POSTS