header image

HOME

This is the blog of Ian Rosales Casocot. Filipino writer. Sometime academic. Former backpacker. Twink bait. Hamster lover.

Interested in What I Create?



Bibliography

Sunday, May 30, 2021

entry arrow9:42 AM | Barkada, Circa 1950s

Currently watching Lou Salvador Sr.’s Barkada [1958] on Mike de Leon’s Casa Grande Vimeo page. A gritty precursor to Maryo J. de los Reyes’ Bagets [1984], it’s clearly a take-off from Nicholas Rays Rebel Without a Cause [1955] with a dash of film noir and Dickens and a slew of Pinoy melodrama. I’ve been trying to define what attracts me to these old Filipino films on this site, besides being a cinephile and in spite of their bad fidelity. And then it struck me: it’s nostalgic throwback to my childhood in a Silliman Avenue neighborhood where I spent many afternoons watching RPN 9 classic Filipino cinema outside the window of my friend Ted-Ted’s mother’s house. We had no TV, so that was I got my entertainment as a very young boy in the late 80s.



[Also: Lou Salvador Jr. is so easy on the eyes.]

Labels: , , ,


[0] This is Where You Bite the Sandwich





GO TO OLDER POSTS GO TO NEWER POSTS