header image

HOME

This is the blog of Ian Rosales Casocot. Filipino writer. Sometime academic. Former backpacker. Twink bait. Hamster lover.

Interested in What I Create?



Bibliography

Friday, February 24, 2012

entry arrow3:45 PM | Poem That Had Some Difficulty With

By Mikael de Lara Co


I’ve always wanted to begin a poem

with the line, “I’ve always wanted

to begin.” Now I have. Best to end here,



but then the universe is expanding

back into its black beginnings,

and space, aware of its own looming demise,



is singing of possibilities. I’m almost over, it sings,

it’s almost over and sooner or later we’d be left

with nothing but time. If we live that long.



Sometime before then all our dialects

will have moored on the gray sands of forgetting,

all our sad words will have started



to repeat themselves, as if sound didn’t dissipate

into stillness, as if not everything has been said before.

Here, let me tell you a joke: I am a man of faith.



Or a child, a tree, some living thing

that will someday be a dead thing.

What does faith have to do with it? I know;



it isn’t funny. Nothing funny about mortality,

how movement bleeds into clockwork,

how clockwork succumbs to its own igneous finitude.



How we aid entropy by being born.

See? I only wanted to begin, now I’m humming

the ghost-heavy refrain of imminent endings.



In that song about possibilities, someone

is hurling an empty bottle skyward. I see you:

You’re imagining it slowing towards its peak,



anticipating gravity, its ruthless duty. Stop.

Don’t. Let’s go. Let’s not be around when it shatters.

Let’s not wait for an ending.

Labels: , ,


[1] This is Where You Bite the Sandwich





GO TO OLDER POSTS GO TO NEWER POSTS