header image

HOME

This is the blog of Ian Rosales Casocot. Filipino writer. Sometime academic. Former backpacker. Twink bait. Hamster lover.

Interested in What I Create?



Bibliography

Wednesday, June 09, 2021

entry arrow9:13 AM | Anthony Bourdain, Other People, and Coping with Mental Health

The funniest and most disturbing thing I’ve ever heard about people commenting on my mental health struggles shows a lack of knowledge, understanding, and empathy: “How can Ian be depressed? He’s always writing and posting on Facebook.” [Sigh.] We all have weird coping mechanisms. Anthony Bourdain struggled with his mental health for years—but he was also doing three TV shows for three different networks, was writing books, was dining with people like Obama, was becoming famous. In 2016 in Buenos Aires, he held an on-camera therapy session and confessed: “I will find myself in an airport, for instance, and I’ll order an airport hamburger. It’s an insignificant thing, it’s a small thing, it’s a hamburger, but it’s not a good one. Suddenly, I look at the hamburger and I find myself in a spiral of depression that can last for days.”

He died of suicide in 2018.

Read Helen Rosner’s beautiful profile on Bourdain at the New Yorker here.

Labels: , ,


[0] This is Where You Bite the Sandwich





GO TO OLDER POSTS GO TO NEWER POSTS