header image

HOME

This is the blog of Ian Rosales Casocot. Filipino writer. Sometime academic. Former backpacker. Twink bait. Hamster lover.

Interested in What I Create?



Bibliography

Thursday, December 21, 2006

entry arrow12:31 AM | Oscar Heats Up

I'm slowly doing my homework catching up on the films being tipped for the Oscars early next year. Oscar Watch, of course, helps bring all critical consensus together -- but there's nothing like watching the films themselves to firm up what I can believe to be this year's best.



I've already watched Martin Scorsese's The Departed in the theater (not Scorsese's best, but entertaining enough to be a shoo-in; plus, give this genius his golden guy already), but I was not able to catch Clint Eastwood's Flags of Our Fathers because, given the choice I had then, I opted to watch the wonderful Inang Yaya instead. (Sariling atin muna!) Stephen Frears' The Queen is wonderful, wonderful, wonderful -- and Helen Mirren will win that Oscar, although I'm also leaning towards Meryl Streep's virtuoso comedic performance as a cold fashionista shark in The Devil Wears Prada. Sofia Coppola's pink-colored Marie Antoinette was boring as hell -- scratch that from all contender's list. I was hoping for The Blossoming of Maximo Oliveros to have Oscar momentum after its nomination in the Independent Spirit Awards (and its inclusion in Dave Ansen's "best" list in Newsweek), but that's increasingly a stretch, given that Volver, Pan's Labyrinth, Curse of the Golden Flower, and The Lives of Others (all unseen by me) seem to be catching more fire. (Although that category always springs a surprise, so don't count out Maxi just yet. The Banquet though is a dead duck. What a stupid movie that was.) As for documentary? My heart's still with An Inconvenient Truth. And the penguins in Happy Feet will tap out the automobiles in Cars to get the top prize.

I just hope nothing mediocre like last year's horrendous Crash will prove to be the biggest upset of all.

And so the watch continues.

Labels:


[0] This is Where You Bite the Sandwich





GO TO OLDER POSTS GO TO NEWER POSTS