header image

HOME

This is the blog of Ian Rosales Casocot. Filipino writer. Sometime academic. Former backpacker. Twink bait. Hamster lover.

Interested in What I Create?



Bibliography

Saturday, March 10, 2007

entry arrow5:13 PM | Favorite Songs No. 1 : My Funny Valentine

This remains my favorite love song of all time.



Richard Rodgers and Lorenz Hart's classic "My Funny Valentine" has been covered by many artists (in the embedded recording above, it is Michael Feinstein) -- and most singers, including Linda Ronstadt, Carly Simon, Frank Sinatra, Elvis Costello, Michael Buble, Chet Baker, Harry Connick Jr., Matt Damon (yes), Billie Holiday, and Sinead O'Connor, have brought their own brand of lovely, funny sadness to the song. I like Ms. Ronstadt's rendition particularly: it starts with the opening verse, which not a lot of the versions play, and segues beautifully -- with such clarity and sadness -- into the meat of the song. Ms. O'Connor does that, too, and Mr. Feinstein. I don't know why I feel like posting this song today. It goes with my chosen lighthearted mode for my current days, I guess. See, I want to stop feeling perpetually defeated and gloomy and sad and unhappy. I want to be happy. This song makes me happy. And I hope it strikes a chord or two in you as well.

(What a sap. Ehe.)

But here's the lyrics anyway:

My funny valentine
Sweet comic valentine
You make me smile with my heart
Your looks are laughable, unphotographable
Yet you're my favorite work of art

Is your figure less than greek
Is your mouth a little bit weak
When you open it to speak, are you smart

Don't, baby don't
Don't change you hair for me
Not if you care for me
Stay little valentine stay
Each day is valentine's
Each day is valentine's day

Stay little valentine stay, stay, stay
Each day is valentine's
Each day is valentine's day
Valentine's day

Labels: ,


[0] This is Where You Bite the Sandwich





GO TO OLDER POSTS GO TO NEWER POSTS