header image

HOME

This is the blog of Ian Rosales Casocot. Filipino writer. Sometime academic. Former backpacker. Twink bait. Hamster lover.

Interested in What I Create?



Bibliography

Saturday, March 10, 2007

entry arrow2:07 AM | Premiere Bows Out

The things I loved growing up seem to be disappearing one by one. Early this week, it was Tower Records going down bankruptcy road. Now, Premiere Magazine will release its last print issue this April, and will migrate to the Internet as an online magazine. (It's not exactly dead then, but still...) I remember picking up my first Premiere copy in high school. I was in the line with my mother to pay for groceries in FortuneMart, this ancient grocery store in Dumaguete. A magazine with Sean Connery and Wesley Snipes on the cover somehow caught my attention, and I was hooked. I loved its huge size, to approximate "the size of a cinema screen" supposedly. Then it shrinked to regular size for the company to save money, but I kept buying. I was a budding cinephile, and this was my bible. I would go to Cebu every other month to get my copies, with savings I culled from my weekly allowance. I used to clip the glossy movie ads from its pages and paste them in my "poster scrapbook." (Yes, I was a movie nerd. Still am.) Then there was Libby Gelman-Wexler. The screenwriter Paul Rudnick (Addams Family Values, In & Out, The Stepford Wives, and Jeffrey) in real life, "she" was a Jewish princess socialite whose famous and award-winning film criticism in Premiere was biting, always funny, and tipped with Manolo Blahniks. Perfect.



But all that is gone now.

[via oscarwatch]

Labels: , , , ,


[0] This is Where You Bite the Sandwich





GO TO OLDER POSTS GO TO NEWER POSTS