header image

HOME

This is the blog of Ian Rosales Casocot. Filipino writer. Sometime academic. Former backpacker. Twink bait. Hamster lover.

Interested in What I Create?



Bibliography

Sunday, November 04, 2007

entry arrow6:17 PM | Jinggoy for President

The Philippine Star's top story had this as breaking news: "The United Opposition may field the tandem of Sen. Jose 'Jinggoy' Estrada and Makati Mayor Jejomar Binay in the 2010 presidential elections, dispelling speculations that the opposition is in disarray following former President Joseph Estrada’s acceptance of executive clemency for plunder." I decided a long time ago, when I graduated from college, that I would not be like one of those people who abandoned the homeland for greener pastures abroad. My country needs me, I told myself then. And so I faithfully made a career as a teacher based in the Philippines, faithfully paid my taxes, faithfully voted in every friggin' election, hoping -- like a naive person full of relentless optimism -- that one act of faithful devotion to the country could be a force of good. (I seriously believed all those feel-good television commercials about patriotism, where a single candle shone bright in the surrounding darkness.) But for the first time in my life, I thought to myself: if Jinggoy happens, this damn country and its people has not learned any of the harsh lessons of the past, and I'm getting out of here.

Labels: , ,


[0] This is Where You Bite the Sandwich





GO TO OLDER POSTS GO TO NEWER POSTS