header image

HOME

This is the blog of Ian Rosales Casocot. Filipino writer. Sometime academic. Former backpacker. Twink bait. Hamster lover.

Interested in What I Create?



Bibliography

Saturday, January 17, 2009

entry arrow5:25 PM | Unplanned Things and Karaoke

It takes an obsessive-compulsive like me to take in, truly, the guilty pleasures of unplanned things. I am not exactly a person designed for spontaneity (I get minor hives every time somebody suggests something I have not planned for at all), although I do have a so-so tolerance that permits me not to go completely insane. My in-built demand for order in my life can be quite dictatorial, and it has its manifestations in the list of things-to-do (plus the requisite erasures in red ink) in my planner, the library arranged by surnames of authors, and the spic-and-span quality of my own apartment. (When I was younger, I used to follow my visitors around with a portable broom-and-dustpan.) Lately though, I seemed to have developed a curious tendency for succumbing to the unplanned. Like last Friday night. A walk through the city with Moe Atega after Karl Aguila's exhibit opening led us to an ice cream shop in Portal West (where we had 12 oz. of yogurt each), which led to us being kidnapped by Wing del Prado, Arlene Delloso-Uypitching, and Justine Colburn to Gabby's Bistro, where we proceeded to spend the entire evening singing karaoke. And get this: I sang most of the time. If you know me at all, you will know that I never ever sing karaoke. Never. But I did. Last night. Without qualms, and with vocals I thought I had lost forever. I even exorcised the remaining demons surrounding Ariel Rivera's "Minsan Lang Kitang Iibigin" -- and survived. (Why that song? Wag na.) I don't know what this says about me in the New Year, but frankly, I like it.

Labels: ,


[0] This is Where You Bite the Sandwich





GO TO OLDER POSTS GO TO NEWER POSTS