header image

HOME

This is the blog of Ian Rosales Casocot. Filipino writer. Sometime academic. Former backpacker. Twink bait. Hamster lover.

Interested in What I Create?



Bibliography

Thursday, August 23, 2007

entry arrow11:31 PM | Malu Fernandez Resigns!

This just in. Malu Fernandez finally resigns. Her statement:

I am humbled by the vehement and heated response provoked by my article entitled "From Boracay to Greece!" which came out in the June 2007 issue of People Asia. To say that this article was not meant to malign, hurt or express prejudice against the OFWs now sounds hollow after reading through all the blogs from Filipinos all over the world. I am deeply apologetic for my insensitivity and the offensive manner in which this article was written, I hear you all and I am properly rebuked. It was truly not my intention to malign hurt or express prejudice against OFWs.

As the recent recipient and target of death threats, hate blogs, and deeply personal insults, I now truly understand the insidiousness of discrimination and prejudice disguised as humor. Our society is bound together by human chains of kindness and decency. I have failed to observe this and I am now reaping the consequences of my actions. It is my fervent hope that the lessons that Ive learned are not lost on all those who through anonymous blogs, engaged in bigotry, discrimination, and hatred (against overweight individuals, for example).

I take full responsibility for my actions and my friends and family have nothing to do with this. To date I have submitted my resignation letters to both the Manila Standard and People Asia, on that note may this matter be laid to rest.

The statement came through a simple Geocities page -- which merits so much doubt, considering its medium. But my friend Eric texted me that the news came out tonight in ABS-CBN's TV Patrol. And now I'm thinking: It's amazing how powerful bloggers have become in the world of new media. So, to Tingog.com who first sounded that call against Ms. Fernandez, congratulations.

One last note, however: I was one of those who did mention her weight in my calculated attack against her article. I was, of course, mindful of the political incorrectness of the charge, but I felt I had to demonstrate to Ms. Fernandez how words -- chosen without sensitivity -- can be a repository of so much hate and discrimination, whether intended or not. She had to have her cake, and eat it, too. So now, I'd like to apologize to all horizontally-challenged people out there. As Oprah continually reminds us: "You are beautiful."

Labels: ,


[0] This is Where You Bite the Sandwich





GO TO OLDER POSTS GO TO NEWER POSTS