header image

HOME

This is the blog of Ian Rosales Casocot. Filipino writer. Sometime academic. Former backpacker. Twink bait. Hamster lover.

Interested in What I Create?



Bibliography

Friday, January 23, 2009

entry arrow6:43 AM | Dancing

I have discovered dancing again. For me, dancing signifies a concrete promise of freedom: permitting your body to sway and follow the rhythm, the flow of music -- this takes a kind of flight from our inhibitions, and one can never really dance well when all we think about are the people we imagine scrutinizing our moves. Dancing is a kind of meditation, really: a pulsating concentration that allows you to fly and to stay grounded at the same time. I like the way the music washes over me as I dance these days, whether in the dance floor of a bar, or alone in my room or in the company of friends: most of the time, I close my eyes, and just let my body do what it thinks it can do. The other day, and last night, it was Safri Duo that I was dancing to -- and when the "Adagio" track filled the room, I found that it somehow "completed" the way I am now. The track spoke to me more than bromides about love and living would or could. It has since become the soundtrack of my days, and I dance to it like a lover both bereft and hopeful. It is freedom to acknowledge that. The iconic image of my head of this very freedom comes from the film Playing By Heart, where Ryan Philippe's character dances in the middle of a crowded floor, alone, his eyes closed, his body lost in a trance. It makes me believe some more this old, overused quote from William Purkey: "Love like you've never been hurt, and dance like no one's watching." I believe it, because it is so fucking true.

Labels: , ,


[0] This is Where You Bite the Sandwich





GO TO OLDER POSTS GO TO NEWER POSTS