header image

HOME

This is the blog of Ian Rosales Casocot. Filipino writer. Sometime academic. Former backpacker. Twink bait. Hamster lover.

Interested in What I Create?



Bibliography

Thursday, June 10, 2010

entry arrow6:51 PM | Gotta Love the Haters

Years ago, in college, I was told by some people I was not and could never be a writer. [The exact circumstances were this: a bunch of campus writers were decamping for another university, and the general sentiment was this: "What happens now? Sino na lang ang matitirang writer sa Sillman University?" When somebody came up with my name, the idea was poo-pooh'd. "Ian? A writer?" And they all laughed.] Of course it pissed me off. So off I went to write a short story. Which won me my first Palanca. So you see, you gotta love haters. Because they push you to do even better than you thought you could. Story of my life.

I write this now, knowing there are those who think that my getting into Iowa is a fluke. Something to poo-pooh. I don't mind. It's just the nature of the game. Plus you can always slap them with your next book.

Labels: ,


[1] This is Where You Bite the Sandwich





GO TO OLDER POSTS GO TO NEWER POSTS