header image

HOME

This is the blog of Ian Rosales Casocot. Filipino writer. Sometime academic. Former backpacker. Twink bait. Hamster lover.

Interested in What I Create?



Bibliography

Sunday, February 03, 2019

entry arrow3:47 PM | The Heart Can Be Unforgiving Above All Things

There are people I’ve known in my life I’ve come to pretend don’t exist, or if barring that, to pretend that I have never ever known them. And the stance becomes such a given, instinctive even, that on ordinary days when I happen to meet them on the street, or in a cafe, or inside a tricycle, I catch myself giving them an airy glance and then I feel my eyes going beyond them, as if all I see are ghostly traces I have no vocabulary for; the erasure of recognition is such a performance that I actually find my heart lurching just a little. It is doing this dance, I think, of a little guilt, but also bountiful resoluteness. I don’t know you, my heart says. But of course I do, it continues, and I know what you have done to me and now you’re just a shadow my eyes do not care to see. He knows it, too, this old friend of mine that I see in this cafe on a Sunday afternoon. Our eyes meet for a second, and he looks away. And I go on playing pretend, my unforgiving heart dancing, dancing, dancing the unforgiving tango.

Labels:


[0] This is Where You Bite the Sandwich





GO TO OLDER POSTS GO TO NEWER POSTS